[Linux-aus] Re: A/V recordings and publishing

On 31/01/2007, at 10:50 AM, Ken Wilson wrote:
Mark an area on the floor in gaffa tape big enough to move about a bit and get to laptop, projector etc and say if you want to look good in the video then stay within this area.

Some people actively avoid trying to 'look good in video' when you tell them this sort of thing! :-)

Also, definitely agree regarding the whole marking out active floor space part; it definitely makes recording far more predictable, but I'm not sure if you're actually suggesting you should instead just have the one zoom covering the speaker & full side at all times.

This doesn't work; you neither get to see the speaker or the slide well, especially considering the small fonts used in Terminals and such during demonstrations. Without having a very clear view of either, the video becomes incredibly stagnant/boring.

You want to avoid edit time at all costs. Unforeseen onsite technical problems both at 04 and 06 resulted in needing lengthy post- production work, hence why the video took so long to come out.

The solution to the problem needs to occur at recording-time, and there's been a few ideas on how to do this for a while now, some with limited success.

Is it worth creating an AV discussion mailing list at LA, or something? Certainly, the interest/pool of experience is far higher than what it was a few years ago.

It is what happens in professional recording. There is room for some negotiation. Setup of theatre may need to be manipulated to encourage speaker to stay within a good area for recording, or to move the camera to get the best position. It would help to have recorded in that theatre before with a range of speakers to be familiar with positioning, or to have just done more recording, so encouraging LUGs to video will improve the experience pool.
Ken
There doesn't seem to be an easy solution to this. I
am sure it wouldn't cause a professional camera operator any problems - but we don't have them. We
could have two cameras - one following the speaker and
one focused on the screen only and splice the two together at edit time - but that would double the expense. Or you could try and get all speakers to
upload their slides to the conference web site - but
that should happen anyway and I notice no LCA has
achieved it yet, so it must be hard to orchestrate.
BTW Silvia, others have said it but I must throw in
my "me too". The video coverage was for me the crowning achievement of LCA2007. It set a new
standard, one which I suspect future LCA's will
have trouble living up to.