[Linux-aus] Re: A/V recordings and publishing

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 06:53 +1100, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> To get the questions, you need wireless handheld mics. But now you
> have two sound sources that need mixing. Well, the cheapest approach
> to that is a Beachtek XLR adapter, which you screw under your camera
> onto the tripod and takes 2 inputs to mix down to one with mic output.

At other LCA's the speaker was required to repeat all
questions.  As I was watching the delays caused by
the wireless mics being moved around the audience I
ended up thinking that getting the speaker to repeat
the question was a better (and cheaper) solution.

The other problem seems to be getting both the speaker
and the slides in the picture.  In some theatres the
speaker stood on one side of the room and the projector
screen was on the other making the cameraman's job
dammed near impossible.

There doesn't seem to be an easy solution to this. I
am sure it wouldn't cause a professional camera
operator any problems - but we don't have them.  We
could have two cameras - one following the speaker and
one focused on the screen only and splice the two
together at edit time - but that would double the
expense.  Or you could try and get all speakers to
upload their slides to the conference web site - but
that should happen anyway and I notice no LCA has
achieved it yet, so it must be hard to orchestrate.

BTW Silvia, others have said it but I must throw in
my "me too".  The video coverage was for me the
crowning achievement of LCA2007.  It set a new
standard, one which I suspect future LCA's will
have trouble living up to.