Re: [Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Hello Lorn,

On 7/2/05, Lorn Potter <lpotter@trolltech.com> wrote:
> I am new here (american working in Brisbane), and I don't know much of
> LA's past or dealings, only what I learned in Canberra.
>
>  From an outsiders perspective, it does seem odd that Linux _Australia_,
> would have a Linux conference in a different country. It would be a bit
> like Linux Canada holding a Linux Canada conference in the US or the
> Bahamas. Does it really make sense? Doesn't New Zealand have their own
> Linux New Zealand organization? Is it Linux Commonwealth? What kind of
> message does this send to organizations looking to help to promote Linux
> in _Australia_?
>
> Everyone whom I have told this to, including non geek types that don't
> know anything about Linux, thinks this seems a bit odd, and raises a lot
> of eyebrows.

Yes, it's a bit odd to have the conference in NZ, I've known for a
fair while it was a possibility, and it's still doesn't sit
entirely comfortably with me.

On the other hand, there's been non-Linux content at every LCA I've
been to (BSD stuff, lawyer gibberish, for example); how do you feel
about that? Heck, there's even been non GPL'd stuff talked about! [1]
Hell, we even had a MS representative next door in Canberra.

I think it's a good thing that some of us are uncomfortable with
aspects of L[C]A, it means we might just get off our backsides and do
something about it :)

cheers,
--
Clinton Roy