Re: [Linux-aus] Governance versus Execution (was Can Linux Australia survive?)

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 18:02 +1000, James Purser wrote:
> Okay, having singly shot down everything I have said in a dignified
> polite manner

Heh.

There is little reason to be otherwise, yet great capacity. We are all
reasonably intelligent and, as typing written messages allows time for
consideration, sometimes even witty.

It's a dangerous combination. It often results in sharp invective which
would, in person, be quickly perceived as being unacceptably maladroit
and therefore suppressed in the interest of group harmony and all that.
But typing away, we don't get that non verbal feedback, and so are
easily lulled into thinking that it's ok to be impolite.

[This is one of the reasons that email debates are less than ideal.
While they are indeed very inclusive, they are unstructured debates (ie,
there is no formal mechanism for marshalling arguments for and against,
and no likewise no mechanism withing the medium itself for making
decisions). Worse, as written communications, email messages require
great care and consideration to communicate ideas effectively,
concisely, while maintaining a poise and tone which is appropriate. Even
then, half the time someone will take you the wrong way. It is a paradox
that effective communications are a matter of quality, not quantity -
and yet quantity can and will drown out quality if given the
opportunity]

I think I'll blog that :)

> You would be proposing a structure something like the following:

Actually, no I wasn't proposing anything, just trying to give
background. But I'm afraid also no, that's not what I was getting at.

Since you ask, I will respond with greater clarity. But later. Right now
it's sunny outside for the first time in 10 days, and I intend to take
advantage, especially seeing as how there is rain forecast for later
this afternoon.

AfC
Sydney