[Linux-aus] LUG Videoing Grants Proposal

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Fri Feb 8 08:41:01 UTC 2008

Okay, so collating the responses so far, it sounds like the following
might make sense:

 - LUGs [0] apply to the LA council for a grant to make improve their
   ability to record/publish talks

 - They include a list of at least one talk each month between March and
   June that they've already got scheduled, with a speaker and a venue,
   that they'll attempt to record and publish

 - They include a list of the stuff they're planning on purchasing, how
   much of that they're planning on covering themselves, how much they're
   asking LA to cover (up to $2000), and who'll be taking care of it

 - We schedule an irc meeting time on #linux-aus or #lavideo on
   irc.linux.org.au once a month to discuss any problems people are having
   and try to come up with solutions

 - We let LUGs choose the equipment/approach they want, but point at existing
   suggestions, such as:

     http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2008-February/016572.html
       -- Silvia Pfeiffer says use a HDD camera
     http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2008-February/thread.html
       -- Silvia also suggests a good tripod, and Ogg format
     http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2008-February/016573.html
       -- Silvia also recommends a mic input

     http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2008-February/016575.html
       -- Julien Goodwin voluteers to do transcoding from HDDs or DVDs

     http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2008-February/016571.html
       -- Steven Hanley talks about hosting on mirror.linux.org.au

 - We host all the published videos on mirror.linux.org.au, along with a
   vidcast feed

 - We set a $12,000 budget for this (so limited to six LUGs unless
   some LUGs can get by with less than $2000 from LA).

 - In the event of more applications than money, we first talk to LUGs to
   see if they can cover more of the cost themselves, and second choose
   LUGs based on the number and quality of talks they have planned and how
   interesting they're likely to be to people who might watch the videos.

Since the feedback seemed mostly positive, I'd like to propose
that for the LA council teleconf next Thursday, pending any further
comments/changes/suggestions. Thoughts?

Cheers,
aj

[0] Where the L in LUG stands for anything compatible with Linux
    Australia, eg "Unix" or "GNU" or "Perl" or whatnot; and might include
    collaborations between user groups, eg a MySQL and PostgreSQL
    usergroup getting together