[Lugcomms] Hello & Help!!

GPCS - Grant Petch gpcs at ozemail.com.au
Thu May 1 09:39:43 UTC 2008

Dear List:
Hi I'm Grant Petch, I'm a new member to this mailing list, and was
recommennded to sign up on here by Geoffrey Bennett from Linux SA.
Currently I'm from Adelaide and involved with the following Linux / OSS
Groups:

1) Linux SA
2) Air-Stream Community Wireless Networks (This group uses OSS with their
wireless equipment)
3) Southern Fleurieu Linux User Group or "SFLUG" for short (I'm one of the
main organisers of this group)

I believe very strongly in not only the potential growth aspects of FLOSS,
but also the many benefits that using such technology gives back into the
hands of everyday users, businesses, government, etc..
Also I have been running my own ICT business from my own home since the
middle of 2001 which has given me not only a vast insight into the ICT
industry as a whole, but has also equipped me with skills that you don't get
taught in TAFE and other trade type tertiary institutions.  My main area of
strength is in the hardware / networking side of things, but also am trying
my best to get more skilled and equipped in maintaining software
environments, especially Linux / Open Source.

As my way of contributing back into the FLOSS community, due to lack of
software / programming knowledge due to my work background have with three
other guys have started up a new LUG down on the Southern Fleurieu Peninsula
with meetings alternating between Goolwa and Victor Harbor with regular
meetings being held usually on every first and third Wednesday evenings of
the month, with meetings kicking off at 7:30pm.  The group is currently
looking into also meeting on the occassional Saturday to start being
involved with a community computer type program.  Our meeting style is
usually very easy going and relaxed, but with a more demonstrative tutorial
/ workshop type flavour to the way our meetings are run, some of you may
find this a little unusual but it works really well for us as our members
are from vast range of different
backgrounds and are at possess Linux / OSS skills at varying different
levels.  Generally speaking we feel that are more "hands on approach" is
what is really needed in this area, and that people usually pick-up  skills
much faster by being involved in this manner, and, we are also wanting to
offer something a little different to what is already being offered in
existing LUG's.

However I would like our group to be listed on the Linux Australia site some
time sooner rather than later. The URL of the page that I am specifically
referring to is: http://www.linux.org.au/foss_in_australia/LUGS/SA  can
someone please tell me how information can be posted on this page??

Kindest Regards:
Grant Petch :)
Checked by AVG.
18:10