[Linux-aus] Notice of Linux Australia 2023 Annual General Meeting (AGM)

Nicholas Perkins nick at nicholasperkins.com
Tue Jan 10 23:09:19 AEDT 2023

On Tue, 10 Jan 2023, 8:18 pm Paul Wayper via linux-aus, <
linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

> On 10/1/23 2:59 pm, Kathy Reid via linux-aus wrote:
>
> No.
>
> Holding professional events outside of business hours makes it difficult
> for people who have caring requirements - who are often women - to attend
> those events. This is often a barrier to participation for people becoming
> involved in organisations, for networking, and for professional
> development.
>
> Hi Kathy,
>
> While your passion for equality is noble, I'm wondering whether in this
> particular context its well placed.

I'm not sure your response could be more patronising.

> What would you say was the proportion of women in the Linux Australia
> membership?

Why should this matter? Shouldn't events and meetings be held at times that
enable as many people of any gender to attend?

> In the past the AGM has often been held after 5:30PM on the Monday of
> LCA.  Is this also something you expect to change to accommodate women
> carers?  It's strange that we haven't heard from you on this yet.

Until recently it was difficult for me to be away from home for extended
periods due to carer responsibilities. Many carers are not women.

> Since 2:30PM on a Saturday would also expect to see carers at home - is
> that time and date also a problem in your opinion?
>
> I think the time and date is the best accommodation to the fact that - at
> a rough guess, just from looking around at some of the previous AGMs - most
> of our membership are full-time workers that are still working, and this is
> more likely to find them at home and at a time where they can more easily
> juggle their family and other commitments.  I'm wondering if you see it
> that way?

Here's the sad bit. I agree with some of your points here. If perhaps you
hadn't taken to responding in what can only be seen as a patronising and
misogynistic fashion...

> As we've seen, Craige still has carer commitments at this time and he's
> given his respectful apologies.  Sadly, we can't accommodate everyone, can
> we?

Regards,