[Linux-aus] Notice of Linux Australia 2023 Annual General Meeting (AGM)

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Tue Jan 10 21:17:54 AEDT 2023

On 10/1/23 2:59 pm, Kathy Reid via linux-aus wrote:
> No.
>
> Holding professional events outside of business hours makes it difficult for
> people who have caring requirements - who are often women - to attend those
> events. This is often a barrier to participation for people becoming
> involved in organisations, for networking, and for professional development.

Hi Kathy,

While your passion for equality is noble, I'm wondering whether in this
particular context its well placed.

What would you say was the proportion of women in the Linux Australia membership?

In the past the AGM has often been held after 5:30PM on the Monday of LCA.  Is
this also something you expect to change to accommodate women carers?  It's
strange that we haven't heard from you on this yet.

Since 2:30PM on a Saturday would also expect to see carers at home - is that
time and date also a problem in your opinion?

I think the time and date is the best accommodation to the fact that - at a
rough guess, just from looking around at some of the previous AGMs - most of
our membership are full-time workers that are still working, and this is more
likely to find them at home and at a time where they can more easily juggle
their family and other commitments.  I'm wondering if you see it that way?

As we've seen, Craige still has carer commitments at this time and he's given
his respectful apologies.  Sadly, we can't accommodate everyone, can we?

Regards,

Paul