[Linux-aus] Notice of Linux Australia 2023 Annual GeneralMeeting (AGM)

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Wed Jan 11 10:15:31 AEDT 2023

On Tue, Jan 10, 2023, at 11:09 PM, Nicholas Perkins via linux-aus wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2023, 8:18 pm Paul Wayper via linux-aus, <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:
>> On 10/1/23 2:59 pm, Kathy Reid via linux-aus wrote:
>>> No.
>>>
>>> Holding professional events outside of business hours makes it difficult for people who have caring requirements - who are often women - to attend those events. This is often a barrier to participation for people becoming involved in organisations, for networking, and for professional development.
>> Hi Kathy,
>>
>> While your passion for equality is noble, I'm wondering whether in this particular context its well placed.
>>
> I'm not sure your response could be more patronising.
Oh, Nicholas, let me lay your doubts to rest - I can be _way_ more patronising than that.

But why insult me?  Why read Kathy's email charitably and mine as patronising?  What's your point, here?

I agree with Kathy that Linux Australia should be more diverse and inclusive, and should consider those issues in its choice of meeting times.  But for Kathy to uncritically accept Saturday at 2:30PM AEDT as a meeting time  (for a 'professional event') without querying whether that time is suitable for carers, and then to push back on Craige when he politely asks (as a carer) for a different meeting time in future because his request is, seemingly in Kathy's opinion, offensive to women as carers, strikes me as a bit hypocritical.  Is that hypocritical to you, Nicholas?

I am all for Linux Australia trying to be more diverse and inclusive.  I welcome its attempts to consider those goals in finding meeting times, and locations, and in its other points of access.  But it's impossible to please everyone all the time, and it's easy to come up with examples of ways that even this inclusive meeting time and online location exclude certain groups.  Does that mean it's wrong?  No; it just means its the best we've got so far.

You've criticised me, Nicholas - what do you have to contribute to this attempt at diversity and inclusion?

Regards,

Paul