[Linux-aus] Inflection Point - A Strategic Plan for Linux Australia

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 18:27:52 AEDT 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 4:15 PM, Kathy Reid <kathy at kathyreid.id.au> wrote:

> On 06/01/16 15:43, Lev Lafayette wrote:
>
>> I have to respectfully disagree Michael.
>>
>> 'Bikeshedding' is a discussion about an mostly irrelevant point because
>> everyone can have an opinion on it, whilst not contributing to the
>> difficult questions. "What colour should the bike shed be painted?" is the
>> traditional example cited, because it really isn't that important compared
>> to building the nuclear power plant*.
>>
>> The issue isn't about Google Docs vs git as such, but rather whether an
>> organisation that calls itself "Linux Australia" or "Open Source
>> Australia" should use Linux-friendly and open-source tools or something
>> else that is convenient and/or popular but doesn't comply to open
>> standards, doesn't maximise accessibility, or isn't FOSS. This is *highly*
>> relevant.
>>

> I don't disagree with your points. Linux Australia, wherever possible,
> should use free and open source software and adopt open standards.
>
> However, and this is a very big however, when someone takes the time and
> energy to write a strategic paper with the intent of maturing and advancing
> an organisation, this sort of criticism not only detracts from the
> discussion at hand, it belittles the efforts of the author by focussing on
> the format of content, not the content itself. No wonder we have such
> difficulty attracting and retaining volunteer contributors if this is how
> their contributions are treated.

<mark>
    start of debate decent
</mark>

I'd like to propose the following;

> * That Inflection Point will, at an appropriate time, be moved to a GIt
> repository managed by LA
> * Until that time discussion regarding its *contents* continue on Google
> Docs.

(Deliberate CAPS ahead)

I CALL ON THE LA COMMITTEE TO MOVE THIS DEBATE OFF LIST TO A GIT REPO NOW
AS IN RIGHT NOW!!!
(Google docs is great but the inability to easily and clearly define a
thread is forcing people to use the mailing list...)

To do other wise would ignore the past debate where no-one really won.

Last time this was debated on list it descended into a "hell".
Please oh please do not repeat past mistakes.

Peace :-)

BW