[Linux-aus] Inflection Point - A Strategic Plan for Linux Australia

ac ac at main.me
Wed Jan 6 18:00:10 AEDT 2016

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 16:15:01 +1100
Kathy Reid <kathy at kathyreid.id.au> wrote:
> On 06/01/16 15:43, Lev Lafayette wrote:
> > I have to respectfully disagree Michael.

<snip>
> However, and this is a very big however, when someone takes the time
> and energy to write a strategic paper with the intent of maturing and
> advancing an organisation, this sort of criticism not only detracts
> from the discussion at hand, it belittles the efforts of the author
> by focussing on the format of content, not the content itself. No
> wonder we have such difficulty attracting and retaining volunteer
> contributors if this is how their contributions are treated.
>
> I'd like to propose the following;

<snip snip> You have so many proposals, some are so controversial that
even my old troll suits will need lots of green ooze, never mind the
tinfoil costs...

Kathy, your document is very professional and well thought out. It has
good structure, but it has some fatal flaws.

Personally, I read it twice.

The main problem with your document is that it deals with so many
different issues and tries to do that in one single document, there are
other issues that cuts deep into the very fiber of things Linux.

> * That Inflection Point will, at an appropriate time, be moved to a
> GIt repository managed by LA
> * Until that time discussion regarding its *contents* continue on
> Google Docs

Maybe it will be a solution to start first by taking a vote about the
platform?

Instead of simply telling everyone that it has to be?

Maybe also, break things down into bite size proposals?

Or maybe simply try to force everything through all at once, the sheer
amount of time that it will take to opine on the many different issues
alone will see an increase in apathy.

> I'd say let's build the nuclear reactor, but given North Korea's
> activities this afternoon it may be considered poor taste.

indeed. poor taste...