[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] Grant Application for Meetup Group Hardware

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Fri Dec 2 14:59:12 AEDT 2016

Hi Will (and the LA council),

I would personally recommend that LA **not** fund this grant request at
this moment. I would recommend funding such a grant request only after the
Wordcamp people have reliably produced videos for their user groups for 6
events in a row.

This however would leave Wordcamp with a "chicken and egg" problem -- they
can't get equipment until they have videos and they can't get videos until
they have equipement. As this group is in Sydney, I have a proposal to
solve this problem.

I'm willing to *lend* the Wordcamp group the following equipment (on a
permanent basis) to allow them to produce high quality recordings;
 * 1 x Wireless microphone receiver
 * 1 x Lapel microphone
 * 1 x USB Audio capture mixer
 * 1 x Numato Opsis board (in case with power supply and cables) for
capturing high quality recording of the presentation
 * 1 x HV30 Canon camera for speaker capture
 * 1 x Lenovo Laptop for recording

The expectation would be the gear is returned (in working order) if
recordings are not produced or the user groups stop meeting. You might also
notice that this equipment is very similar to the kit used to record
Linux.conf.au and PyCon Australia. This setup will allow them to produce
videos of the same quality level as found at these conferences.

As the setup is almost identical to that which will be used at LCA2017, I
would highly recommend that someone from the Wordcamp group attend LCA2017
and volunteer to be part of the A/V team to get a better understanding of
how this equipment can be used and some hands on experience.

Will, how does that sound?

Tim 'mithro' Ansell