[Linux-aus] Linux Australia updated budget

Francois Marier treasurer at linux.org.au
Sun Jul 13 16:32:03 EST 2014

Hi there,

Due to the expected financial loss[0] to occur this financial year the
council created a new budget to work from for the remainder of the year. Our
financial year runs from 1st of October to the 30th of September so this
updated budget is to cover the next 3 months although the council has been
using it for the majority of the year as a guideline. In general the council
has done what it can do to reduce spending since it learned of the LCA loss.

The attached 2014 budget includes amounts that have already been spent
largely in 2013 and early 2014 before our financial circumstances were
realised. As such the expected reduced budget for grants and sponsorship
isn’t able to come into full effect until the next financial year. To
demonstrate our plans we have also included our first draft for our 2015
financial year. This shows our strategy to steadily restore Linux
Australia’s funds to a balance that can cover a complete LCA.

Our 2014 conferences are all currently tracking well and both the
subcommittees and the council have been working hard to ensure budgets are
well tracked and accurate. The indicated figures for 2015’s income are very
tentative until the subcommittees working on those conferences are able to
better determine projected outcomes at which point an updated budget will be
published.

The council would also like to reiterate that while the financial loss is
unfortunate it shouldn’t hinder the organisation’s activities. These budgets
simply reflect the tightening of the belt while we restore our reserves to
cover unforeseen circumstances.

We welcome any questions to council at linux.org.au.

Kind regards,

Francois Marier, Treasurer