[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Apr 26 21:56:42 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 20:14 +1000, Adam Nielsen wrote:

> >> Chris has spent more than enough time - by my count 20 odd emails worth
> >> - - emailing his issue in explicit detail. Sticking our heads in the sand
> >> denying his perspective seems both arrogant and offensive.
> >
> > It could seem that way to you, to others, too, no doubt.  On the other
> > hand, there are those who hear Chris's concerns but don't share them.
> > That's not arrogance, it's their perspective.
>
> To be fair, I don't think some are able to fully see it from Chris' point of
> view as they're blinded by their (understandable) high opinion of Linux.  At
> the risk of coming across as being patronising, I think this is a suitable, if
> somewhat contrived, analogy:

Some could say same about those that want to dump the name linux.
I can see  Chris's POV, but he wants us to dump the name Linux to make
his life easier, this is a Linux grass roots organisation.
Would he go to Microsoft and demand they drop the name Windows ?  I bet
we all know the answer to that one.

If that changes, the org has, and IMHO it has no right to keep a hold of
the Linux Aus name from those who would seek to re-establish LA and
keep its grass roots as Linux.
If that occurs, we'll at least be able to fix up the current screwed up
laggy mail server :)