[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 22:12:36 EST 2012

Hi Noel,

Just one correction to make:

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 21:56, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
> Some could say same about those that want to dump the name linux.
> I can see  Chris's POV, but he wants us to dump the name Linux to make his
> life easier, this is a Linux grass roots organisation.

Linux Australia is NOT a Linux grass roots organisation.  It is a Free
and Open Source community organisation.

You can read the source for this in the Linux Australia Values
Statement -- adopted last year, and available at:
http://linux.org.au/values

"As an organisation, we aim to represent and assist the groups and
individuals who make up the Free Software and Open Source communities
in Australia. "

"Linux Australia was founded with a focus on the Linux operating
system but quickly evolved to embrace all facets of open technology."

The membership of LA has endorsed that values statement, and that
values statement has directed the actions of the current LA council,
which has, by the way, had its core membership re-elected three times
now.

If you would like to create a grassroots Linux organisation, good
news, the organisation currently known as LA will help you create it,
provide you with a legal organisation in which to operate.  It would
strengthen the values statement of LA as it currently stands.

But LA is *not* the grassroots Linux organisation that you seek, and
if you analyse the actions of the LA council, and those organising
events under LA, you would see that it is much broader than that.

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer

Jabber: chrisjrn at gmail.com -- IRC: chrisjrn on irc.freenode.net -- AIM: