Re: Second Life [Was: [Linux-aus] In the news today]

At 2007/1/30 21:54+1100  Christopher Yeoh writes:
> I have read in interviews where they have stated that an open
> standardised protocol is of higher importantance than an open source
> server, but I'd expect that documentation of, and standardisation of
> the protocol will flow pretty naturaly from the GPL'ing of the client
> as it will make working with community much easier.

Oh and it looks like there will be an open source server regardless of
what Linden Labs do, as someone has a very very basic one running:

http://www.3pointd.com/20070130/rogue-second-life-server-goes-open-source/

There is a big advantage to being connected to the Linden Labs grid
and be able to exchange data/inventory, but its things like this will
nudge them along.

Chris
--
cyeoh@samba.org