Re: Second Life [Was: [Linux-aus] In the news today]

Christopher Yeoh wrote:
I think its important to recognise that there is already a Free and
Open Source community within Second Life. And there is certainly a
Free Culture environment, with the Creative Commons organisation
active within SL organising talks etc. So in a way they are already
part of our community.

Even if SL eventually falls in a heap (there is certainly no guarantee
that SL is the future of a 3D internet), or the servers never get open
sourced, I think an open source 3D user driven environment much like
it is pretty much inevitable. And the community will learn a lot in SL
about what works well and what doesn't in a virtual 3D environment,
and this knowledge and experience will transfer well to whatever
eventually does emerge.

So, I'd like to offer my support to Chris' email and position. ;)

Lets not waste this opportunity. SL is already well down the track towards the path of freedom, and we can do a lot of good from the inside, as well as receive the benefits of an active (and at times interactive) global presence.

While most corporations will treat SL as a glorified advertising board, the FOSS community, of it's nature, will enrich, improve & liberate this environment. Many people already active in SL, and some of those to come will recognise the difference and won't forget. This will certainly have real world ramifications.

It's not like we're attempting to transform John Howard into Jessica Alba.

Cheers,
Marco