Second Life [Was: [Linux-aus] In the news today]

<quote who="James Purser">

> Well if Sweden can set up a virtual embassy, I don't see why we couldn't
> do something. I haven't played with Second Life myself, but it would seem
> to be becoming quite popular.

It's great that they've freed their client, but it remains to be seen how
open they're going to be about the whole stack. Indications are good, but
they're not there yet.

So, right now, Second Life is the Compuserve or AOL of virtual worlds. Is
that something we as a community want to promote right now? Sure it's all
funky and bleeding edge and epistemologically fascinating and so on - I'm
weighing the difference between agitating for openness from the inside or
choosing to avoid a closed ecosystem.

Sorry for getting heavy around the new toys. :-)

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

    Echidnas, or at least the ones I've met, don't have joy. Adults very
     rarely have joy. Kids have hyperkinetic nuclear joy in abundance.