Re: [Linux-aus] linux.conf.au Possible *Future* Programme Format

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 14:23 +1300, Simon Lyall wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > If we embrace the 'next step' of the changes we made this year, based on
> > Kylie's excellent suggestion, it's just another minor modification to the
> > construction of the programme. Three or four "main conference" streams over
> > five days competing with tutorials and miniconfs ("community organised
> > streams") on each day.
>
> This sounds a good idea, the only worry I might have is that the more
> streams there are the more likely things are to clash. In theory this
> isn't so bad if everything is recorded but recording doesn't seem to have
> worked out very well in practice.

If you go with the idea that you should have less streams to avoid
clashes, you're not solving the problem; just hiding from it.  You're
letting someone else (lca organisers) decide which streams you don't go
to.  I'd rather have an 'embarrassment of riches' to choose from and
miss out on some great presentations that clash (which I would anyway; I
just wouldn't know about it).  I know the choices I would make about the
streams I would go to don't always line up with what the lca crew have
decided.  That's not to say the lca crew have done a bad job, rather
that my interests are slightly different.

Regards,
Tim Bowden