Re: [Linux-aus] linux.conf.au Possible *Future* Programme Format

<quote who="Steven Hanley">

> >  * If one extends the conference to a whole week, how would that:
> >    - affect pricing
> >    - affect scheduling
> >    - affect staffing requirements (where staff may be volunteers but you
> >      know what I mean)

As per linux.conf.au 2007, it is *already* one week. We consider miniconfs
to be part of the conference, we have the conference opening on Monday and
close on Friday afternoon (and close really properly on Friday night at the
dinner).

It hasn't had an impact on any of the issues you raise above for one simple
reason: We've had to have all of this for miniconfs anyway.

If we embrace the 'next step' of the changes we made this year, based on
Kylie's excellent suggestion, it's just another minor modification to the
construction of the programme. Three or four "main conference" streams over
five days competing with tutorials and miniconfs ("community organised
streams") on each day.

I'm really enthused by Kylie's suggestion. Bloody brilliant. While I wish we
had thought of it for 2007, this kind of idea can really only come from the
natural evolution of the conference!

Best of all, it does not imply major financing changes, which is a *HUGE*
advantage for safe evolution of the conference.

Beer's on me, Kylie.

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

   "You put on the pants, and the pants start telling you what to do." -
                                    Bono