Re: [Linux-aus] Fair Use

Hi Anthony,

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 00:09, Anthony Towns wrote:
> The Attorney-General's Department has announced a 'wide-ranging review
> of copyright laws' which will look at the question whether Australia
> should have an open-ended fair use defence, perhaps like the US fair use
> defence, as opposed to the confined set of fair dealing defences that we
> now have in the Copyright Act.

Sounds good.

> According to the SMH, the Attorney-General, Philip Ruddock, made this
> comment:
>
>      "There's a reasonable argument for putting forward the opinion that
> when someone has bought something in one format and has acquired the
> copyright for it in that particular format then there is a fair use for
> them to take it to another format. I think it's a strong argument,"

That, of course, would be a nonsense statement.
If I purchase a DVD, I do not acquire the copyright for the materials on
the DVD, but merely a license to view them in the privacy of my own
home. I hope the scope of the review will not be based on this quote,
otherwise it's nada ;-)

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Community Relations Manager
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

MySQL Users Conference (Santa Clara CA, 18-21 April 2005)
Early registration until February 28: http://www.mysqluc.com/
12 days left for early registration, 60 days until the event!