Re: [Linux-aus] Fair Use

Arjen Lentz wrote:
"There's a reasonable argument for putting forward the opinion that when someone has bought something in one format and has acquired the copyright for it in that particular format then there is a fair use for them to take it to another format. I think it's a strong argument,"
That, of course, would be a nonsense statement.

I just can't decide which is more inconceivable, a politician mangling a comment; or a major newspaper mangling a quote...

If I purchase a DVD, I do not acquire the copyright for the materials on
the DVD, but merely a license to view them in the privacy of my own
home. I hope the scope of the review will not be based on this quote,
otherwise it's nada ;-)

Actually, that's not right either -- when you buy a video you have the right to play it, no license required. The whole "license to use" thing is something that content distributors go to a lot of effort to convince people is necessary, but (by and large) it's not.

"When someone has bought something in a particular format, and has acquired the right under copyright law to access it in that format, then there is a strong moral argument that it is a "fair use" for them to convert it to another format."

or

"If I purchase a DVD, I do not acquire the copyright for the materials on the DVD, but merely the right to view/use it in non-public circumstances."

would be more accurate, aiui.

Cheers,
aj