[Linux-aus] Fair Use

And then,

The Attorney-General's Department has announced a 'wide-ranging review of copyright laws' which will look at the question whether Australia should have an open-ended fair use defence, perhaps like the US fair use defence, as opposed to the confined set of fair dealing defences that we now have in the Copyright Act.

According to the SMH, the Attorney-General, Philip Ruddock, made this comment:

"There's a reasonable argument for putting forward the opinion that when someone has bought something in one format and has acquired the copyright for it in that particular format then there is a fair use for them to take it to another format. I think it's a strong argument,"

http://weatherall.blogspot.com/2005_02_01_weatherall_archive.html#110842038802343803

Cheers,
aj