Re: [Linux-aus] Article in todays SMH

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 21:21, Craig Warner wrote:
> I'm a little confused, there was an article in today's Sydney Morning
> Herald titled "Copyright laws under review"
> By Julian Lee, Marketing Reporter

> http://smh.com.au/articles/2005/02/14/110822936338.html

> In the article, Julian writes
> "Tough new laws will be introduced by 2007 as part of the
> US-Australia free-trade agreement. Anyone found guilty of unlocking
> an encrypted code that prevents multiple copies of a CD being made
> faces a two-year jail sentence."

> Does this sound like Digital Millennium Copyright Act?

> The reason I ask, is that I have a letter from Senate Sandy
> Macdonald, (you known him as the Minister for Overseas Postings),
> quoting "However, this does not mean that the Digital Millennium
> Copyright Act or other U.S. laws will be introduced into Australia."

No, it will be called the Australian Freedom [sotto voce: for large
companies] To Publish Act or some other honey-dipped name, but a sack
of snakes by any other name is still a sack of snakes.

What do we need to *actually*do* so that the pollies in question will
actually pay attention to the real issues, not just the issues suavely
sold to them over expensive lunches by corporate reps?

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia