[Linux-aus] KMail benchmark

I discovered a bug in KMail which can cause it to lock, causing Xorg to
lock in such a way that it also (effectively, anyway) locks swap once
you accumulate more than 256k messages (as in 256,000 messages, not
256kB of messages) in one MailBox file. Goodbye, box, hurrah for
jounralling file systems.

So, I told it to move the entire 1.1GB MailBox into a (MailDir)
subfolder.

    Time to enter box:                         1.5hrs

    Time to complete Select All:               2.5hrs

    Time to first message written in MailDir:  4.0hrs

    Time to last message written:             10.0hrs

    Time to delete MailBox message by message: 4.0hrs

                                              --------
    Elapsed                                   22.0hrs

Nominally 2.4GHz AMD, 512MB RAM (process used about 220MB throughout),
200GB 7200RPM IDE HDD.

_Very_ happy we didn't have another power failure midway through.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia