Re: [Linux-aus] Article in todays SMH

Craig Warner wrote:
Does this sound like Digital Millennium Copyright Act?

The reason I ask, is that I have a letter from Senate Sandy Macdonald, (you known him as the Minister for Overseas Postings), quoting "However, this does not mean that the Digital Millennium Copyright Act or other U.S. laws will be introduced into Australia."

It's like it, but it isn't exactly the same legislation, either word-for-word or even with precisely the same effects. It's meaningless to say things like "introduce the DMCA into Australia", since it just gets interpreted literally, and the point gets lost.

In any event, the Digital Agenda act is already "like" the DMCA; see the current case being heard in the High Court on whether mod-chips that allow both imported and pirated games to be played on PS2 are legal (aka Sony v Stevens; for some analysis see http://homepage.mac.com/wrothnie/iblog/C688984015/E1945581195/)

Cheers,
aj