Re: [Linux-aus] Re: LCA, eh

Michael,

linux.conf.au is what it is partially because of it's size. Growing the
conference will turn it into LinuxWorld, and that is something that we may
not *want* to do. Why does linux.conf.au attract some of the best
speakers on the planet? Because it is a relaxed, low pressure, high clue
factor, low fanboy conference. Double the conference size and that will
change.

Double the conference size and the conference size will be twice what it is in the year 2005....it's maths and that is all that it is.

Let's not be obsessed with size shall we? How about we just run a damn
good conference?

On the other hand, putting it bluntly, size doesn't always matter. It's what one does with it. If Linux Australia is willing to believe that a bunch of people from Adelaide, Canberra or Dunedin can run a Linux.Conf.Au successfully - which the first two have and the latter has no obvious reason to not achieve the same result - then why don't we have the confidence we can't manage a large conference just as successfully?

I just put that thought in for you to think about. We *are* obsessed with size. The current Linux Australia committee seems to like things small. Big things don't hurt as much as you think - it's a mindset thing...trust me on that one.

If profit is your motive, go ahead. I'd prefer to have a cool conference
instead.

I think the increasing size of Linux conferences (in general) is inevitable. If Linux increases its market saturation, then clearly there are more people who might want to go to Linux conferences. And this will include developer conferences, because the more people using Linux, the more developers there's going to be.

So, why don't we stop this "OMG, it's only 600 -ever-" and work out what we could do, NOT NOW, with say "1000 competent developers in one geographical location at a time who want to listen to the world's best on how they can develop Linux". Think outside the square...we're Australian. We're New Zealanders. We don't have to turn a LARGE Linux.Conf.Au into a Linux World. It's ours - and we get to set the agenda...

And the agenda, I hope, will get bigger...

DSL