[Linux-aus] Re: LCA, eh

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 05:05:31PM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> Craige McWhirter wrote:
> > Skip forward 20 months to January 2007 and I think that "LCA 2007,
> > Wollongong" would be an ideal choice, provided SCLUG have the full
> > support and backing of the SLUG community, which I don't doubt they'll
> > have.
>
> I suspect the hardest part for future LCAs is going to be venues...
> Finding lecture centers which can take high hundreds of people without
> costing the earth is going to be hard. It's clear to me that Canberra
> wasn't a big enough venue, especially as we had to turn people away.

Growing LCA is going to be a major pain, I agree.  Unfortunately, the only
idea I can think of at the moment (splitting the conference into multiple
separate yet most likely related conferences) sucks for a wide variety of
reasons.

Even finding a really, really big venue (capable of holding umpteen thousand
delegates) isn't necessarily a solution.  You need one room capable of
holding everyone, and at least one or two other rooms capable of holding
nearly as many people (since it can be hard to guess which of several
simultaneous talks is going to be the big drawcard).

Do we know how the other big Linux conferences (or even other, relatively
unrelated meeting events) handle these sorts of size issues?

> How do we keep getting bigger without sucking too much? How big is the
> venue in Wollongong?

The largest venue in the Uni can hold (well) over a thousand people.  There
are also several lecture theatres that can hold (from memory) 600-700 people
each.  There's actually quite a schweet cluster of theatres in one area of
the Uni which would be quite amenable to an LCA (large foyer, big grassy
area outside) and the Uni has been doing a lot of work to build an
all-encompassing (quite literally; I've heard that someone did a test in
every toilet) WiFi network.  I'm sure we can obtain couches from somewhere,
too.

Speaking to Ashley Maher (my co-head-SCLUGer) we think it's a possibility,
with the support of people at the Uni and some help from SLUG people.
What's the process for making a "bid" for an LCA?  Presumably it's similar
to the olympics (all bribes and under-the-table deals)?

- Matt