Re: [Linux-aus] Re: LCA, eh

At 2005/4/28 10:20+1000  Del writes:
> > It might be time to revive the user conference idea.  The problem with
> > splitting the conf is that most of us are interested in user issues as well
> > as developer and sysadmin issues.  Having to go to two (or even three!)
> > conferences to get our fill would probably be way too much -- not to
> > mention finding three times the organisational capability each year.
>
> What do you see, exactly, as the difference between a user conference and
> LCA as it currently stands?  LCA is quite technical, but there are many
> talks in past and this years' LCAs that were accessible to "users".

FWIW the 3 major linux technical conferences (OLS, LCA,
Linux-Kongress) around the world are all around the 500 attendee mark
(and OLS regularly turns people away). Sure, there are the LinuxWorld
conferences which have exhibition areas and thousands of attendees,
but many linux developers now deliberately avoid these.

Bigger is not always better. Or at least its not best suited to a
technical conference for developers.

I think there is room in Australia for an additional larger conference
which concentrates on talks users are interested in and has an
exhibition area.

As for getting LCA bigger, the most helpful thing people can do is to
register (and pay!) for the conference as early as possible. With
enough notice, capacity can sometimes be increased.

Chris
--
cyeoh@samba.org