[LA-Policies] Diversity / Social Inclusion Policy

David david_crosswell at telaman.net.au
Sun Nov 8 12:33:57 AEDT 2015

On Sun, 2015-11-08 at 11:48 +1030, David Lloyd wrote:

> Given the recent discussions – rancorous or otherwise – about the
> opening of events, it strikes me that there is no obvious diversity
> or social inclusion policy. It’s touched on in code of conduct but
> that’s more of a “behave yourself you fools” statement.
>
> There are a few obvious groups who are missing in computing in
> Australia, in general, and perhaps open source communities in
> Australia. For example, in Australia there’s a close balance between
> the number of women and men but one could hardly argue there’s the
> same balance in the computing communities in Australia. To be honest,
> in all my time working in computing I don’t think I’ve ever seen an
> Indigenous person working in any part of the IT industry and I don’t
> think I’m that sheltered.
There are quite a few, actually.
I was connected to Michael when I was part of the LinkedIn set-up,
until I dispensed with it, but will be doing business with him in the
not too distant future.
http://www.messagestick.com.au/

They might not make a lot of noise, and there's no obvious reason they
should, but they're around.

> Should Linux Australia simply encourage itself and other organisations to have diversity and social inclusion programmes?
That's an obvious positive in regard to the hybrid vigour aspect.
> Or take one step further and require them for sponsorship?
I don't think dictatorship works. It generally engenders antagonism to
some degree or other. Leadership by example is generally acknowledged
as best.
>  Should that be on a case by case basis? Might it make sense to prefer sponsorship of programmes that have diversity / social inclusive programmes, all other factors being equal?
>
> Does the current debate highlight the need to address issues of equality and other social issues in a more comprehensive manner?
>
> I wonder.
>
> --
> David Lloyd
> http://www.validlyodd.net/