[Media] [LACTTE] An LA social media experiment - paper.li web newspaper

Craige McWhirter craige at mcwhirter.com.au
Mon Aug 15 09:08:06 AEST 2016

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 06:12:46AM +1000, Kathy Reid wrote:
>    So, I'm trying a little bit of a social media experiment with curated
>    content using a cloud platform called paper.li (it's not open source - but
>    none of the platforms I could find - Storify etc - are - happy to
>    entertain F/OSS alternatives if available). Essentially, I feed it a range
>    of content sources (to do with Linux and open source) and it generates a
>    new 'edition' every 24 hours then Tweets it at 6am from the
>    @linuxaustralia twitter account, eg;

If I understand correctly, it's just a news aggregator that tweets its
aggregation daily.

>    The latest /var/log/linuxaustralia!
>    [1]http://paper.li/linuxaustralia/1471201130 Thanks to @[2]skimbrel
>    @[3]DrJosh9000 @[4]linuxaustralia [5]#pyconau
>
>    So, what would I like the Media team to do? Well, give me feedback. Is it
>    working? Does it help get our key messages out? Is the content relevant to
>    you? If we find it a useful social media tool, the paid version ($USD 9
>    per month) provides some additional integrations and controls, enabling
>    branding etc.

It is my opinion that by paying for this service at any price we are not
fulfilling our mission and doing a disservice to our members.

If the media team feel there is a need for a such service, it is my opinion
that we should scope out the needs, put it out for tender and have a GPL
application developed to meet that need.

It's not an immediate solution but it is one that leaves a positive long term
legacy that is in line with our membership's desires.

--
Craige McWhirter
M: +61 4685 91819