[Media] [LACTTE] Fw: Re: [Linux-aus] Grant request: Contribution to Senate voting source code FOI request review.

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Thu Jul 31 10:35:44 EST 2014

Hello,

A related thing we may wish to consider is if the AEC don't wish to reveal
their source code, that they offer some mechanism for 3rd party systems to
be feed the votes that the AEC receives to allow verification of counting.
 That way they can have their precious source code, but democracy is still
upheld.

Of course, a problem that seems to be indirectly revealed in this is that
the AEC don't seem to have separated the network elements, i.e., the
electronic transmission of votes to the AEC counting system, from the
system that does the counting.  It may well be that this is what they are
trying to hide -- that a buffer overrun in their network code could
compromise the counting software.

Paul.