[Media] [LACTTE] Fw: Re: [Linux-aus] Grant request: Contribution to Senate voting source code FOI request review.

Linux Australia Secretary secretary at linux.org.au
Wed Jul 30 22:46:06 EST 2014

So, coming at this from a Media and Subcommittee Team perspective (CC'd)
this may be a very good opportunity for Linux Australia to write a Press
Release around the issue, with the following messaging;

- we support the release of the source code for transparency and deeper
scrutiny
- drawing the conclusion that if we can't see the mechanisms of
government, how can we trust them?
- denouncing the treatment of Michael Cordover as inappropriate and
massive over-reaction

Thoughts?

On 18/07/2014 11:43 PM, Joshua Hesketh wrote:
> I absolutely agree :-).
>
> Nobody specific in security comes to mind. We could perhaps reach out to
> the RuxCon community. Otherwise just somebody like Tridge or Rusty may
> be able to weigh in?
>
> Cheers,
> Josh
>
> On 16/07/14 12:21, Josh Stewart wrote:
>> On 16 July 2014 at 11:56:56 am, Daniel Jitnah
>> (djitnah at greenwareit.com.au <mailto:djitnah at greenwareit.com.au>) wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps the Open Source Community should provide "Expert Independent
>>> advice" that opening software to scrutiny does not open system to
>>> hacking etc., but much to the contrary.
>>>
>>> Most likely many expert opinion can be obtained to counter the position
>>> taken by the AEC.
>>>
>>> LA could be well placed to facilitate the process of obtaining such
>>> advice.
>>
>> Personally I think this suggestion from Daniel is an excellent one!
>>
>> Do we know any experts in the community who can comment on the merits of
>> being open source when it comes to security?
>>

>> --
>> Josh Stewart

Kathy Reid
Secretary