[Lugcomms] Fwd: LC AGM @ LCA

David Tangye davidtangye at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 11:03:29 EST 2008

I have been offline a few days, but, this being an email list, I have not
missed anything said :-), can think about it a while, and and can continue
the discussion in a meaningful way, having had time to think. That is not so
easy with IRC. I understand your points Paul and Donna and accept the
opinions. Points of divergence of opinion are:

   1. Immediacy: If you have something you want feedback on, its quicker to
   just email the list at the time you think of it, not have to wait for a
   'meeting' time to come around. All you are getting at 'meeting' time is
   off-top-of head feedback, not considered thought. Which is more valuable?
   2. Formality: Bollocks mate, I can just as easily talk like a duck via
   email, but at least I will have time to correct my typing before I send it
   out.
   3. "It would seem that the synchronous IRC meeting has already generated
   greater cross-communication and awareness of other lugs" You almost appear
   to be implying that this (or any other issue) could not be raised and
   achieve a similar result via email. IMO: the fact that it came up on IRC
   should not suggest that to me: if it were a real issue it would inevitably
   have been raised via email. BTW: I did not raise the incorporation issue at
   the last meeting. It was already on the agenda somehow, possibly as a result
   of my emails with Donna about it as I was leading an exercise to consider
   doing it here on the Gold Coast. If the resulting info were not provided at
   the last IRC meeting, I would have simply responded to any question about it
   on here, or would have published it directly unsolicited. As it was I saw it
   was on the agenda so I held off a day or so. So having an IRC meeting did
   not add value here either, in fact it probably detracted, as I never got to
   write the reasons etc, but having announced on IRC that incorporation here
   was dead, saw little point in writing more full info later to this list.

Having read and considered your opinions, I have to say that I am even more
convinced that my original opinion is right. Well it is for me anyway :-). I
just cannot see how you consider that you are getting quality of
decision-making input in a timely manner, but I think I am starting to
repeat myself so it probably time to move on.

Cheers
David

--
The Last Great Frontier is in Your Mind