[Lugcomms] Fwd: LC AGM @ LCA

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Wed Aug 6 10:52:42 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 12:37 +1000, David Tangye wrote:
> I am not sure why you hold an IRC 'meeting' at all. IRC introduces the
> problem of people needing to all do it at the same time, which in my
> opinion is totally pointless.

Thanks for your opinion David.

Here's my view...
  Attending lugcomms meet is not compulsory - and we don't need everyone
to be there all of the time.  The point of lugcomms is to foster
inter-lug communication. Both between lugs, and with Linux Australia.
The mailing list exists - and has existed for some years.

It would seem that the synchronous IRC meeting has already generated
greater cross-communication and awareness of other lugs. That is its
purpose, so I don't agree at all that it is pointless.

The meetings themselves have a loose agenda, and anyone can contribute
topics towards it. The 'incorporation' topic was originally raised by
you, and I added it for discussion even though many others have been
over that ground many times before.

Do others think the IRC meetings are pointless?

--
Donna Benjamin - Executive Director
Creative Contingencies - http://cc.com.au