[LCP]thanks

Steve Baker ice at mama.indstate.edu
Wed Jan 7 00:09:06 UTC 2004

"aditya tomar" <adityasinghtomar at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I had posted this under Linuc/c category because my professor had given me
> this final assignment to be coded in C to be Run under Linux.
> Now please tell me or give me some  advice to to accomplish this task so
> that I can achieve this Task.

  I'm going to take that in the nicest way possible.  I've put up the standard
BSD 4.3 IPC tutorial that in 23 pages will teach you all you need to know:

  http://pokey.indstate.edu/bsd-ipc.pdf

  Read that.  It's a little on the old side, and doesn't cover poll() for
instance, and barely scratches the surface of what you can do with sockets,
but it's probably all you need for your assignment. Did the professor not
discuss anything about how to do IPC in class?

  As for the producer, you'll want to decide on whether to thread it or make a
state-machine or just fork() off new processes for each connection.  For such
a simple program, I would recommend a state-machine or forking.

								- Steve