[Linux-aus] Notice of Linux Australia 2023 Annual General Meeting (AGM)

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Tue Jan 10 15:23:54 AEDT 2023

On Tue, 10 Jan 2023 at 15:00, Kathy Reid via linux-aus <
linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

> No.
>
> Holding professional events outside of business hours makes it difficult
> for people who have caring requirements - who are often women - to
> attend those events. This is often a barrier to participation for people
> becoming involved in organisations, for networking, and for professional
> development.
>
> Holding the AGM at say 7pm, outside of a conference setting, where
> childcare is often provided, means this overlaps with things like dinner
> prep, putting children to bed, and other caring requirements.
>
> Equity actions aren't just symbolic - they also need to be practical -
> like not holding an AGM during childrens' bathtime and bedtime.

And of course the scheduled date is a Saturday, so it's got the advantage
of being both outside standard working hours and inside daylight hours!

In a large organisation there's never going to be a time that suits
everyone, as we all have a range of commitments. IME running other
organisations, weekend daytimes are often the best balance for meetings
like AGMs where large numbers of people are being invited. Kathy makes a
good point that evenings are usually harder for those with caring
responsibilities, and regardless of whether you have caring
responsibilities, many of us have too many weeknight events for other
groups or organisations already.

Of course, members who have something particular that they want to raise or
vote on at a meeting they can't attend can and should appoint a proxy.

Andrew

> [...]
> >>
> >>     � � � (b) receive from the committee reports on the activities of
> the
> >>
> >>     association during the last preceding financial year,
> >>
> >>     � � � (c) elect office-bearers of the association and ordinary
> >>     committee
> >>
> >>     members, or to announce the results of a ballot held prior to the
> >>     annual
> >>
> >>     general meeting under clause 15(5),
> >>
> >>     � � � (d) receive and consider any financial statement or report
> >>     required
> >>
> >>     to be submitted to members under the Act.
> >>
> >>     Please find below the draft agenda for the AGM.
> >>
> >>     I also hereby call for any agenda items to be tabled for discussion
> >>     at
> >>
> >>     the Annual General Meeting.
> >>
> >>     With kind regards,
> >>
> >>     Clinton Roy
> >>
> >>     Secretary, Linux Australia
> >>
> >>     [1] http://www.linux.org.au/constitution
> >>
> >>     --
> >>
> >>     Agenda of Linux Australia - Annual General Meeting 2023
> >>
> >>     Saturday 21 January 2023, 2:30pm AEDT (UTC+11)
> >>
> >>     Video conference via Zoom.
> >>
> >>     1. President�s welcome
> >>
> >>     MR JOEL ADDISON, President
> >>
> >>     To note: attendance will be recorded in the minutes
> >>
> >>     2. Approval of the minutes from the previous Annual General Meeting
> -
> >>     2022
> >>
> >>     MOTION by MR JOEL ADDISON that the minutes of the Annual General
> >>
> >>     Meeting 2022 of Linux Australia be accepted as complete and
> accurate.
> >>
> >>     The minutes are available at:
> >>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aK91S5O_G4eucM-3RRUThED5CYH1kx2Ph
> >>     nyNY8uT01A/edit?usp=sharing
> >>
> >>     To be seconded and voted upon
> >>
> >>     3. To receive the REPORTS of activities of the preceding year from
> >>
> >>     OFFICE BEARERS
> >>
> >>     MR JOEL ADDISON - President
> >>
> >>     MR RUSSELL STUART - Treasurer
> >>
> >>     Includes presentation of the Auditor�s Report
> >>
> >>     MR CLINTON ROY - Secretary
> >>
> >>     MOTION by RUSSELL STUART that the Auditor�s Report is a true
> >>     statement of
> >>
> >>     financial accounts
> >>
> >>     MOTION by JOEL ADDISON that the President�s report is correct
> >>
> >>     MOTION by CLINTON ROY that the Secretary�s report is correct
> >>
> >>     MOTION by RUSSELL STUART that the Treasurer�s report is correct
> >>
> >>     MOTION by JOEL ADDISON that the actions of Council during 2022 are
> >>     endorsed by
> >>
> >>     the membership
> >>
> >>     To be seconded and voted upon
> >>
> >>     4. To CONSIDER items tabled in the call for agenda items
> >>
> >>     5. DECLARATION of Election and WELCOME of incoming Council by the
> >>
> >>     Returning Officer
> >>
> >>     6. NOMINATION and ELECTION of Members to Vacant Council Positions
> >>
> >>     <slated if not enough members nominate for council>
> >>
> >>     7. To HEAR and RESPOND to questions from the floor
> >>     --
> >>     Linux Australia Secretary
> >>     linux.org.au
> >>     Providing the logistical, financial and legal framework for Open

Andrew Donnellan
http://andrew.donnellan.id.au         andrew at donnellan.id.au