[Linux-aus] Notice of Linux Australia 2023 Annual General Meeting (AGM)

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Tue Jan 10 14:59:40 AEDT 2023

No.

Holding professional events outside of business hours makes it difficult
for people who have caring requirements - who are often women - to
attend those events. This is often a barrier to participation for people
becoming involved in organisations, for networking, and for professional
development.

Holding the AGM at say 7pm, outside of a conference setting, where
childcare is often provided, means this overlaps with things like dinner
prep, putting children to bed, and other caring requirements.

Equity actions aren't just symbolic - they also need to be practical -
like not holding an AGM during childrens' bathtime and bedtime.

Regards,

Kathy Reid