[Linux-aus] No intent to change name of "Linux Australia"

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Sun Oct 16 17:17:26 AEDT 2022

Hi Marcus

On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 03:43:35PM +1000, Marcus Herstik via linux-aus wrote:
> Also, I am rather interested as to when the council is planning on holding
> its AGM as it now has no conference at which to hold it.

The 2022 Linux Australia AGM was not held during the online LCA 2022
conference.  It was held a week or so before, so those involved in running
and attending the online conference didn't have to juggle multiple systems
simulateously.  There is no constitutional requirement to hold the AGM at an
in-person conference.  Historically it happened to be convenient to do so
because the timing generally matched up.  That said, there was an LCA held
in April (Canberra 2005 I think) and I can't recall how the LA AGM was
handled in that year.

> Can the council provide some indication as to when it intends to do so?

The next Linux Australia AGM is scheduled for January 2023.  The AGM is due
in January so that is when it will be held (as has been the case for as long
as I can remember off-hand).  It will be an online meeting, as was done in
2021 and 2022.  The Annual Report will be prepared in November/December and
the notice of the AGM and call for nominations will be sent to all members
at the appropriate time.  All of this is as per the standard procedures and
timelines that Council have used for many years.

> (They may want to check the constitution and the act too.)

The LA constitution permits the AGM to be online.  I can assure you that
this was checked and confirmed in the lead up to the 2021 AGM.  I cannot
think of anything else that needs to be checked in the constitution or act
in relation to the subject at hand - if you can let me know what else needs
to be looked at I'll be happy to follow it up for you.

Regards
  jonathan