[Linux-aus] COVID19 deaths

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at lusan.id.au
Sun Oct 16 00:48:21 AEDT 2022

On 15/10/22 21:43, Marcus Herstik via linux-aus wrote:
>> On 15 Oct 2022, at 7:39 pm, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> I think that Linux Australia should have a policy of discouraging any in-
>> person meetings at this time and for the forseeable future.
>>
> I’m sorry you feel that way but I don’t think it’s very reasonable to force everyone else to do what you want, nor is it equitable.

But it is reasonable for you to put other peoples lives at risk by not
taking precautions that could prevent you from spreading a potentially
lethal virus to others? You could be positive and asymptomatic, or
simply think your symptoms have past but still be contagious. If you
were positive with measles, or rubella would you go out in public at put
other people (and potentially unborn babies) at risk? Because you are
encouraging a behaviour that puts large portions of the population at
risk, including the elderly, and those who are immune compromised
(possibly because of medication, possibly because of other medical
situations).

> I’m not going to get into Covid figures etc as this is not what I’m actually having issues with.
Lets face it, on average there are about 500 deaths Australia wide each
year from the flu. The current death rates for COVID greatly outstrip
that. Given that there are simple precautions (like wearing a mask) that
can greatly decrease the risks of spreading such a deadly virus not
taking those precautions is irresponsible, and makes you a public health
liability. I am fully vaccinated, but still at a higher risk factor than
the general public because:
a) I have had a bone marrow transplant, and there is clinical evidence
    that immune systems don't recover fully after those.
b) I am on common medication used to treat everything from asthma to
    arthritis and any number of other ailments. The level my dosage means
    that I am immune compromised, and there are questions as to the
    effectiveness the vaccinations have.

So don't be a moron and put other peoples lives at risk. Taking
precautions like mask wearing, or teleconferenced meetings still makes
sense at this juncture of the pandemic/endemic situation.

--
Nikolai Lusan