[Linux-aus] Announcing Everything Open - Conference 2023

Marcus Herstik marcus at herstik.com
Sat Oct 15 20:44:13 AEDT 2022

> On 15 Oct 2022, at 10:03 am, Andrew Pam <andrew at sericyb.com.au> wrote:
> On 15/10/22 10:33, Russell Stuart via linux-aus wrote:
>> As it happened, COVID was very much still a thing at the start of 2022.
>
> COVID is still very much a thing now, and in fact we are likely to see a fresh wave of the latest variants that are even more infectious.  Sadly many of us are still not able to attend any in-person conferences.  The premature decrease in protections and reporting is revealing who our society doesn't value.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrew
> --

Please don’t mention things like “premature decrease in protections and reporting”, nor speculate on the health of the general population.
This is an opinion and not one that may be held by all member of the constituency, and it will likely only sow further discord.

Regarding the conference situation, I too am one that thinks there may be a change in the direction of LA, and I am a little perturbed by how it happened.

Funnily enough it sort of reminds me of the way the ACS went a short time ago. I’m sure we all know how well that turned out.

I wonder if the organisation should be called “Open Source Australia” instead - which would have to be put to a formal vote, require change of name of incorporation etc.
If this is truly how the organisation wants to go then it should do it properly rather than via stealth. Or maybe I’m just reading too much into it?

Regards,
Marcus Herstik

M: 0405-569-466
A: P.O. Box 2443, Burleigh Waters, QLD, 4220