[Linux-aus] Announcing Everything Open - Conference 2023

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sat Oct 15 21:40:07 AEDT 2022

> I wonder if the organisation should be called “Open Source Australia”
> instead - which would have to be put to a formal vote, require change
> of name of incorporation etc. If this is truly how the organisation
> wants to go then it should do it properly rather than via stealth. Or
> maybe I’m just reading too much into it?

FYI this was discussed back in 2017:

http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2017-December/thread.html

It ended up in a formal vote, and the majority of the membership voted
against a name change.

I think a lot of Linux users liked the fact that the Linux name was so
strongly associated with supporting open source (having so many open
source conferences funded by an organisation so strongly tied to Linux)
so they wanted to keep the name and all the goodwill it brought to
Linux.

Cheers,
Adam.