[Linux-aus] COVID19 deaths

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Oct 15 23:49:37 AEDT 2022

On Saturday, 15 October 2022 22:43:02 AEDT Marcus Herstik via linux-aus wrote:
> > On 15 Oct 2022, at 7:39 pm, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > I think that Linux Australia should have a policy of discouraging any in-
> > person meetings at this time and for the forseeable future.
>
> Seems that’s a pretty big position to take and one I will heartily disagree
> with. It also seems to me to indicate a slight bias towards a particular
> outcome and could be seen to influence votes rather than take issues on
> their merit.

My bias is towards keeping people alive.  The vaccines decrease the mortality
and decrease the rate of spread but don't prevent it.  It was after the
vaccines became available that we had the highest death rates.

> I’m sorry you feel that way but I don’t think it’s very reasonable to force
> everyone else to do what you want, nor is it equitable. You don’t have to
> go but don’t force others not to if they choose differently.

How is it equitable to have a conference that excludes older people, people
with immune problems, and other at risk groups?

> Rather I have issue with the fact the LA council may be moving in a
> direction that has been voted on and found to not be the way the members
> want to go. (Which I do recall but the irony seemed to be lost on some).

There has not been a vote on how far we should go to reduce the death toll in
the community.