[Linux-aus] Announcing Everything Open - Conference 2023

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Fri Oct 14 02:36:11 AEDT 2022

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 at 21:40, Russell Coker via linux-aus <
linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

> More conferences would be good.  Conferences don't need to be as big as
> LCA.
> It seems that OE is going to be the big conference, niche conferences
> could be
> the other thing.

Vague long-term thoughts - noting I have no idea what kind of format EO's
organisers anticipate adopting, etc etc - if EO successfully takes off and
succeeds LCA as LA's flagship conference, as a shorter event it could
become the centrepiece of an open source conferences season that co-locates
niche events either side. Experiment with dedicated events for {$language,
$distro, kernel development, sysadmins, gamedev, etc} that are more
independent and bigger/smaller/more fancy/less fancy/funded differently (as
appropriate) than an LCA miniconf, and still lets distant attendees justify
buying a ticket because they'll also be able to throw in EO before/after.
Conversely, you can also attract the people who would have been interested
in your LCA miniconf but aren't interested in paying for a full week of
LCA, because your event will be separate from EO.

Like many on this list, I have a few reservations with how the EO
announcement happened, and yes, I'm a bit scared of the prospect of losing
some of the LCA magic if the old LCA doesn't return - but I'm hoping it'll
reinvigorate interest in LA and break us out of the current cycle where we
struggle to find volunteers making LCA a touch-and-go affair every year.

(I have vague dreams - and ~zero energy to pursue personally, at least for
the next ~2-3 years thanks to my commitments on other organisations'
committees - of seeing a Linux Plumbers-style event take off in the
Asia-Pacific region, and if such an event were to happen in Australia, it
would make a lot of sense for it to sit alongside EO.)

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrew.donnellan.id.au         andrew at donnellan.id.au