[Linux-aus] Announcing Everything Open - Conference 2023

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Thu Oct 13 21:40:02 AEDT 2022

On Thursday, 13 October 2022 12:55:44 AEDT Russell Stuart via linux-aus wrote:
> The reason there is no LCA 2023 is no one put up a proposal to run it.
> In fact no one put up a proposal to run LCA 2022 either. You seem to be
> thinking this was a deliberate choice by LA. The evidence in the public
> domain says otherwise - LA repeatedly asked for bids to run LCA 2023
> (and LCA 2022), and got none.
>
> What "LA" did receive this year, after it was obvious the community
> wasn't interested in running LCA 2023, was a proposal to run OE 2023.
> The proposal was formally voted on last night, and I voted yes.  Not
> because I prefer OE format over LCA 2023 (I don't) but on the grounds I
> always use - do the bunnies look like a dedicated mob that will see it
> through to the end, is it somehow related to open source, and is it
> unlikely to make a loss. The proposal clearly met all those criteria.

This all makes sense, and was pretty much what I expected.  It's been apparent
for some time that LCA was evolving to be more about general open source and
open hardware which IMHO is not a problem.  It's also been apparent that it's
increasingly difficult to find volunteers to run LCA.  It appears to me that
Covid19 just accellerated changes that were already happening.

I think this will be a good conference and I'll be involved as long as it's
not an in-person conference.

More conferences would be good.  Conferences don't need to be as big as LCA.
It seems that OE is going to be the big conference, niche conferences could be
the other thing.