[Linux-aus] Announcing Everything Open - Conference 2023

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Thu Oct 13 12:19:31 AEDT 2022

I'm trying to respond to your email at a high level, Craige, rather than addressing it point by point.

I too am disappointed about the lack of transparency about this change in the focus of what seems to be Linux Australia's premiere conference.  I feel like there were a lot of ways in which Linux Australia could have communicated its plans and intentions better.  We, the community, could have been brought along for the ride rather than announced at.  There seems to be an obvious contradiction about an "Open Everything" conference in which the decisions about the format, size, and context for the conference were kept closed.

I've talked with a number of people and they've talked about the idea of "well, if you want a Linux-specific conference, why don't (we|you) run one as well as this new conference".  Yes, that's possible - but it also splits the community and creates a lot more work.  It's also hard for me to see Linux Australia (or Open Australia, which I assume is going to be the next rebranding) supporting a second 'open source' conference.  "Why don't you just add your conference things to ours?" would be the obvious response.  I'm not sure if there's even been an announcement from Linux Australia that they want teams to bid for where the next Open Everything conference will be, never mind another completely separate conference.

I don't think this is a cynical money-making exercise or a hollow sell-out to corporate advertising.  I think the LA council is genuinely trying to take what LCA had become - a conference about open source, open hardware, open government, and other aspects of Free/Libre culture - and give it a new name and a new energy.  They've said that they received no bids for LCA 2023 so they've had to take on the organising role themselves.  I don't have any criticism for the Open Everything conference per se.

But I really feel that disconnect between the LA Council and the rest of us - LCA attendees, LA members, open source enthusiasts on the list.  The silence.  The brusque answers to questions about LCA's future.  Kathy's accusations.  The sudden announcement, with changes of time of year and format and not much other detail.  I feel like there's a lot of expectation that we will see all the invisible hard work that the LA Council has done and all their invisible good intentions and just immediately be on board, clamouring to volunteer and submit talks and attend.

I'd like the LA Council to consider being more open about what's on the agenda.  What are you deciding on?  Where can we help?  What do you think our shared future holds?  Maybe the community will have some ideas and suggestions?

I will continue to try to assume positive intent.

Hope this helps,

Paul