[Linux-aus] Announcing Everything Open - Conference 2023

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Thu Oct 13 12:55:44 AEDT 2022

On 13/10/22 09:29, Craige McWhirter via linux-aus wrote:
> At this juncture it looks to me like LA comittee and the community have
> formally parted ways?

I'm responding to this even though I will probably be frowned upon by my
fellow LA executive members.

It's possible LA and the community have parted ways. I don't know for
sure. But if so, it's the community that's changed, not LA.

LA is doing what it has always done. It funds open source conferences.
For those of you who don't know, it works roughly like this: a bunch of
bunnies decide they want to do the work of running a conference on a
volunteer basis, they approach LA for funding and logistics, LA makes
them jump through some hoops to prove it's likely the conference won't
make a loss (I can't recall a proposal that didn't make it through the
hoops), and it happens.

The reason there is no LCA 2023 is no one put up a proposal to run it.
In fact no one put up a proposal to run LCA 2022 either. You seem to be
thinking this was a deliberate choice by LA. The evidence in the public
domain says otherwise - LA repeatedly asked for bids to run LCA 2023
(and LCA 2022), and got none.

What "LA" did receive this year, after it was obvious the community
wasn't interested in running LCA 2023, was a proposal to run OE 2023.
The proposal was formally voted on last night, and I voted yes.  Not
because I prefer OE format over LCA 2023 (I don't) but on the grounds I
always use - do the bunnies look like a dedicated mob that will see it
through to the end, is it somehow related to open source, and is it
unlikely to make a loss. The proposal clearly met all those criteria.

The LA above is in quotes because the people who put up the proposal are
mostly the LA exec. Mostly, because I'm one of the lazy ones. I was only
vaguely aware my somewhat secretive fellow exec members were thinking of
it, and have had no involvement in it’s planning. When they delivered
their formal budget to LA the secret was out of course, because as
treasurer of LA I took a long hard look at the budget they put up,
followed up on costings and quotes.  But that’s no different to any
other conference proposal.

I have no inside information on what their motivations for doing it or
choosing the format that did. But the motivations aren't hard to guess -
I know all of them are die hard fans of open source conferences and they
didn't want to see COVID kill Australia's tradition of having them. I
have absolutely no idea what drove the format change, but here the
golden rule of open source applies: he who does the work makes the
rules. It's not the first time a radically different format for LCA was
proposed. The only difference is on previous occasions, LA has always
had an alternate proposal to run a "traditional" LCA alongside the
radical one, and historically it's *always* chosen the traditional
proposal. But that choice wasn't available this time.

If you, or anyone feels strongly that LCA should come back you can make
it happen. I think LA is one of open source hidden treasures, literally.
If you come to LA with a proposal to run an open source conference, LA
will loan you a years salary (a Google employee's salary even) to make
it happen. LA asks for no security, or anything else beyond your word
it's going to be a great open source conference run prudently. If it all
goes sour (and it has), then LA wears the loss without complaint, and
has in the past funded the same conference the next year. Partially
because of LA's corporate reputation, you are likely to attract sponsors
that will fund most of it. It's almost like an open invitation to have
an open source bash for you and your mates at the corporate sponsors
expense.  And if you pull it off, you’ll learn a lot about your craft,
realise somewhat to your amazement you are capable of creating and
organising a team of 100 people that work together to deliver something
fantastic, and earn the accolades of everyone who attends.

It's one helluva deal, and one helluva of an experience. I've done it
myself a few times, and heartily recommend it. If you want an LCA format
conference to come back, all you have to do is take advantage of it.