[Linux-aus] Announcing Everything Open - Conference 2023

David david_crosswell at telaman.net.au
Thu Oct 13 12:08:12 AEDT 2022

Open source doesn't apply just to software or the Linux aspect.
It's a principle and, as such, a value.
Anybody who fails to see the value inherent in transparency in
government, or open access to education (in the broadest definition of
the word), yes, `vacuous' is the term.
Cheers!
--
David Crosswell
Telaman Consultancies

https://www.telaman.net.au

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 11:46, Jeremy Davis via linux-aus
<linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:
> [...]
> [3]
> <https://opensource.com/article/17/11/open-source-or-free-software>
>
> I'm 100% with Craig when he says "Open Source is not a value, it's a
> marketing tool". It's completely reasonable that the average punter
> off
> the street might miss (or not care about) that point, but I doubt
> that a
> seasoned Linuxer would.
>
> Having "open source values" might work with an uninformed audience,
> but
> I suspect that many (such as myself and clearly Craig too) would see
> that statement as completely vacuous.
>
> I get that there is a desire to be open and engaging to all and
> avoiding
> any sort elitism. And I also get that as an "average punter"
> engagement
> tool "free software" appears to cause some confusion and "open source"
> has more clarity with that audience - so is likely a better choice.
>
> So I don't know what the right answer is. But I feel that if there is
> any interest in engaging more "freedom" focused types, having "open
> source values" - without explicit notice of what values that is
> inferring - is not the way.
>
> YMMV...
>
> Cheers,
> Jeremy
>
> On 13/10/22 10:39, David via linux-aus wrote:
>> Some good points, but open source _is_ a value, obvious when it's
>> observed how many avoid it.
>> Obvious when a world is envisaged with or without it.
>> Can you imagine a world where _everything_ was open source?
>> We currently reside in a world where the majority of it isn't, just
>> for
>> comparison.
>> --
>> David Crosswell
>> Telaman Consultancies
>> P.O. Box 477
>> 100 Edward Street
>> Charleville  4077
>> Queensland
>> Australia
>>
>> https://www.telaman.net.au <https://www.telaman.net.au/>
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 09:29, Craige McWhirter via linux-aus
>> <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au <mailto:linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au>>
>> wrote:
>>> At this juncture it looks to me like LA comittee and the community
>>> have
>>> formally parted ways?
>>>
>>> The timing is particularly poor.
>>>
>>> There are reasons that LCA was held the way it was, when it was.
>>>
>>> "Everything Open embodies Linux Australia's values" - yet the entire
>>> site is
>>> entirely devoid of any values. (no, Ooen Source is not a value,
>>> it's a
>>> marketing tool). Transparency would be a good one to start with.
>>>
>>> What are the values of this conference, if it is replacing LCA?
>>>
>>> This no longer looks like a community event but rather a hollow
>>> for