[Linux-aus] 4K monitor sizes

Shervin Emami shervin.emami at gmail.com
Tue May 31 22:15:05 AEST 2022

Hi Rusell,

That article seems quite thorough and fits with my experience, so I'd say
you're in good hands.
Many people love having multiple monitors, and I liked having dual or
triple monitors in the past but I switched to a single monitor setup
around 13 years ago and I prefer it like this. I figure I only have 1 set
of eyes, so I get comfortable with switching windows a lot instead of
turning my head & eyes a lot. In KDE I enable a setting so all windows are
maximised by default, it works well for me but maybe not others.

More importantly, 7 years ago I was having headaches & pains due to eye
focus strain from using laptops too much (focusing at short distance for
long hours each day), so I began using a 47" 1080p screen around 4.5 metres
away from me. It was hard to see regular text, so I had to manually switch
everything to higher DPIs and/or font sizes in the OS and browsers. 2 years
of that seemed to help a lot (in addition to taking forced breaks from the
computer and occasionally perform eye muscle exercises. These days I use a
40" 1080p screen around 2 metres away and I don't even need to customise
any settings in the OS or browsers anymore, I just use all the defaults :-)

So I've found my sweet spot where my eyes don't need to focus too hard and
I can see things clearly and it doesn't take up 5 metres of space in my
office!

Cheers,
Shervin Emami.
http://shervinemami.com/