[Linux-aus] 4K monitor sizes

Colin Fee tfeccles at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 10:39:24 AEST 2022

On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 at 09:33, Info via linux-aus <
linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

> 55"
>
> Useful for editing videos then seeing them as the viewer sees them.
>
> I found a big screen useful when working on something on a table. Hang the
> big screen on the wall at
> the other end of the table.
>
> For everything else, it was too big. I use a 32" and would look at
> something slightly bigger but not
> much. For people using reading glasses, there is a working visual range
> which limits the useful size
> of the screen.
>
> For writing, two vertical screens gives you one for your novel or program
> and the other at the side
> for email, todo lists, and code tests.
>
> Peter

Yep, agree with Peter here re the glasses.  I'm long sighted so I need to
wear my glasses to work at my computer etc.

I bought a Dell 32" 4k curved monitor during a sale early last year but had
to return it as the ppi at 139 was under a sweet spot that meant everything
looked just slightly fuzzy to me. My eyes were constantly trying to focus
it into sharpness and it gave me headaches.  I think the magic number is
about 160 ppi, any less and I find them difficult to use.  Right now I'm
sitting in front of my HP Z27 27" 4k that has 163 ppi.  I can't see the
pixels, everything is smooth and crisp. c.f with Apple retina displays that
are crica 220 ppi.

I found overtime when using 2 x 24" monitors I was never using the full
real estate of the individual monitors i.e. the outer 1/3 was unused, so I
switched to a single 27" of higher resolution and adjust app window sizes
to suit so I can have 2 - 3 things open and work effectively.

My 27" sits just out of arm's length and fill most of my FoV.  I have my
laptop sitting on a custom stand I made as a 2nd screen for things that
don't require my attention.

--
Colin Fee
tfeccles at gmail.com